Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Lil' Bit More Snow & Some Tasty Treats

OK- A LOT more snow!!!!
It's a little bit out of control- although a whole lot of fun!  I took a morning walk to our friends to work on an in-progress mural and it was so peaceful outside!- thankfully the roads were more clear than the sidewalks.


Z and I had some nice playtime while M napped and D cleared snow at the other house.  I'm thinking we might need to snow blow a path to the back of the yard- because the snow is so deep that the kids can hardly walk through it!



I figured we could use some tasty food while recovering from the storm- soooo
The dinner menu was  cheesy potato onion soup with crusty parmesan bread (should have had a salad but we were not prepared grocery-wise and out of a lot of things!), and homemade cinnamon buns.



Potato Cheese Soup (we were VERY low on supplies- so I whipped this up with things we had on hand- not bad for a last minute soup idea)
2 medium onions- chopped
3 potatoes
4 cups veggie broth
1 Tbsp. pepper
1 Tsp. sea salt
1/2 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese (cubed)
2 cloves garlic
parsley
balsamic vinegar
olive oil

Saute onions in olive oil, add S&P- until onions are a translucent, in the meantime cube the potatoes. Add potatoes, a little more S&P, crushed garlic cloves- saute until the potatoes turn slightly brown, pour in the stock. Bring to a boil- boil 10 min, reduce to simmer, simmer 15 min., add cheese- cover on low heat until cheese melts. Puree (I used an immersion blender- but you could do it in batches in a regular blender or food processor).  It came out great! Oh!- and a little drizzle of balsamic vinegar on top with some fresh pepper.


Cinnamon Buns
I did a recipe search for the cinnamon buns- here's what I came up with:


they were really good!  I modified the recipe by using canola oil instead of butter for the dough, using 5 Tbs. of butter for the filling rather than the recommended 12 (Ahhh yeah- overkill I think), and making 1/2 the recommended amt. of frosting- which was plenty.

Last night I worked on a new piece that I'm super-excited about- here's a sneak peek....


Here's my inspiration


I'll preview it later in the week when it's complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment