Monday, January 24, 2011

The Making of the Pond Mural

Here's how it all began...
I met with my friends/neighbors/clients to discuss their "vision" for the mural.
Here is the rug they had purchased for the room, it's from Land of Nod


They chose a nice sea-green for the walls...
and they had ordered a slew of swatches from Premier Prints for the curtains and decided on Glam in the Wan/Natural color scheme-


as I mentioned here.  Once we decided on the idea for the mural (they wanted a modern spin on a pond scene, including a turtle, frog, fish and lily pads) and we decided that I would paint silouettes of the animals and landforms and use the green walls as the background for the scene- similar to the painting in Z's room of the owl and the tree....


then I started the prep work for the mural.  I got photo-images of the creatures that I would be painting- I printed them out- enlarged them to the appropriate size, tweeked them a little, and cut stencils out of cardstock

Then, using the curtain fabric sample and the rug as aa starting point, I came up with pattern swatches that I would use to design the animals (all in various combinations of the colors chocolate brown, turquoise, yellow, white, and sea green)...


then- I applied all of that to the wall, adding a rock for the Mama and baby turtle to sit on, cattails behind the rock, two lily pads with frogs, a flower and a fish.  And after a couple days in the nursery, and four soft-pinch pleated curtain panels later- I was done!


Check out my other completed murals here!
and please feel free to contact me if you'd like a custom mural in your space...

No comments:

Post a Comment