Monday, January 3, 2011

The Recipes I Promised

I know I went on and on about food this holiday season- all of my cookie making prospects, our delicious Christmas day feast.  And- truth be told, I wish I had a ton of cookie pics to show you all- but sadly I do not:(  The holidays got the best of me, and although I had planned on doing a full photo recap of all the various varieties I made with these dough recipes....I dropped the ball.  I took very few pictures, and lets be real- I was lucky to get the darn cookies made (although I did do that! and I managed to eat a few in the process;)

 
Here is one quick recap of one of my favorite varieties from this years bakathon.  I used the vanilla dough as the base for this cookie.  The original recipe is one of Ina's- and can be found here.





Basic Vanilla Dough

2 sticks room temp butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Roll the dough into balls, roll each ball into 1 beaten egg + 1/4 cup water, roll in coconut, press with thumb, fill with jam (I did raspberry, but I've also done apricot which is delicious as well).  Then bake them at 375 for 12-14 min, the coconut should be brown and toasty.
The second recipe I have for you is for the AMAZING corn casserole I blogged about here.


It really is scrumptious.  It was great with all the Christmas fixings (specifically those on my vegetarian plate: carrots, cauliflower pea casserole, veggie stuffing, green beans, and home made dinner roles). 




Let me preface this recipe-giving by saying- my Mom has, for years made this "corn souffle" thing on Christmas day- which I avoided like the plague (I am not one for eggy, custard-like dishes)- when she told me she was trying something new this year- I was intrigued to say  the least.  Once I tasted this dish- I nearly leapt from my chair for a second helping.  It was THAT good! It has a soft corn bread-like quality to it- sweet, cheesy, creamy- excellent.

Moms Corn Casserole
2 eggs beaten
1 (15oz) can of cream corn

1 (8oz) container no-fat Greek style yogurt
1/4c. melted butter
1 (15oz) can whole kernel corn
11/2c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2c. chopped onion
1 pkg. (8.5oz) dry corn muffin mix

Preheat oven to 350
Mix eggs, cream corn, yogurt, and melted butter until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Bake 75min.(in a 13x9" baking pan  until top is golden and knife inserted in middle comes out clean.
Let sit 5min. before cutting....if you can stand it!

Enjoy folks!  Happy cooking- and eating!


On a totally different note- I am in the middle of a nursery mural project- and super excited to share it here on the blog!  Stay tuned!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Honey girl, you can take pictures of my cooking anytime! You make it look SOOO yummy! Love you


    Momma Bomma

    ReplyDelete