Thursday, November 11, 2010

What was for dinner?....Latkas with applesauce

Apple season is almost over- very sad but true.  We were running low on our favorite fruit so we took a quick trip to the orchard yesterday- and got a whole bunch!  The Macs and Cortland's are a bit soft this time of year (not ideal for eating if you are picky like me), but great for applesauce!

Here's what I did- I was on a time schedule- so I quartered them quickly, threw a little pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon on them, and put about an inch of water in the bottom of the pot.  Then I covered the pot- brought it to a boil, then reduced the heat to a simmer for about 20 min (until the apples were good and mushy).


Then, I mashed them through a strainer and removed the skins and seeds.  You could also peel and core the apples before slicing and cooking- then you wouldn't need to do the straining part...


I returned mine to the pot (I like it a little warm) and added a bit of honey and a little more spice (to taste).


On to the main dish! 

We (my sisters and I) were very lucky to grow up with parents who we into trying different dishes for dinner.  We ate lots of different "types" of food.  My Dad, for example was on a fried rice via wok kick for a while, when he was home with my little sister. he also had a pop-over stage that he went through:)  and my  Mom occasionally made latkas - which was  always a favorite!

We had an extra bag of potatos that came with our groceries this week- so I figured I'd put them to good use!

I food-processed about 6 medium potatoes with 1 large onion.  Then I mixed it with 1 egg, 3 Tablespoons of  flour, salt and pepper.


Then I heated up some canola oil and dropped in 4 at a time- flattening them after spooning into the oil.  I let them cook on each side until I could see the potato starting to brown.
I store them in the warm oven while the rest are cooking.


I was hoping the children would eat them- it did take some bribery- but eventually they relented- here is Zella's dinner plate.


She was not feelin' my applesauce:( not sure if it was the spices? or maybe the warmer temp?...

Here's how D and I like to eat them- a little applesauce, a little sour cream- perfection!


I hope you are all eating something tasty tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment