Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Best Muffins EVER

I think I've at least mentioned these babies before- they are the BOMB- and quick to whip up! Give them a whirl and let me know what you think! I literally make them @ least 1x per week:)
I did a recent pantry clean out and put all of my dry ingredients into these lovely glass containers we used for a candy bar @ our wedding. (one of my new years goals was to keep clean spaces clean- this is progress toward that goal!) These guys have been sitting on a shelf in our basement for 7+ years- I thought it was  a good use for them and my pantry looks so much neater!!!)
Back to the muffs- this recipe is adapted from my Mom's banana bread recipe and is super versatile.  You can do various omissions/substitutions and they always come out great! I have been editing and revising over the past year in an attempt at getting them healthier and more breakfast friendly- here's the latest version:


You will need: flour (I like whole wheat pastry combined with white whole wheat), oat bran, sugar, bananas, yogurt, grapeseed oil (more on that later), egg, vanilla,  baking soda and powder, sea salt, and cocoa (not pictured).

First I blend the bananas (2- the softer the better), with the sugar- which seems to help it mash up.

I mix it till it's fairly lump-free

Then I add in the other wet ingredients- oil, 1 egg, yogurt (any kind is fine- I use plain typically, sour cream would work too), vanilla.

Back to the oil- I have recently switched from "vegetable" or canola oil to grapeseed oil.  This switch was prompted by my recent attendance at a dinner demo by the lovely Terry Walters- author of Clean Food/Clean Start (I've mentioned Clean Food before on the blog in regards to kombu added to cooking grains.)  This is a way that I am moving toward less processed foods- and a quick and easy fix.  I get the grapeseed oil @ Trader Joe's- it's similar in price to olive oil and is a nice light oil perfect for baked goods...


Once that's combined I add in the dry ingredients- flour,oat bran, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt. 

Disperse it evenly into a greased (with grapeseed oil again) muffin tin- and pop it into a 325 degree oven for 16 min (check the doneness with a toothpick)

Perfecto!

Oooohhh- and totally divine with a touch of nice salty, melty butter.....


Banana Bran Muffins
2 ripe bananas
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup yogurt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1/2 cup grape seed oil
11/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup oat bran
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup cocoa
optional (nuts, coconut, chocolate chips, dried fruit)

Combine bananas and sugar- blend until free of lumps.  Add in yogurt, egg, vanilla, oil- precess until combined.  Add in flour, oat bran, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder- blend until combined. Divide evenly among 12 muffin cups- bake at 325 degrees- 16 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

On another note:

I am presently posting on location- visiting a good friend and her lovely babes in PA.  I'm very grateful for her central AC and pool in this heat wave we seem to be having:)
I will be back tomorrow with a trip recap- as well as and BLOG ANNIVERSARY GIVEAWAY!!!!! Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. I can verify that this ARE THE BOMB! We were lucky enough to have them when we visited Hannah and her little lovelies and I think I ate about 5--I am pregnant so I can do that but they were that good that even if I wasn't pregnant I would have eaten 5 and I am not a banana muffin fan! Cant wait to try making them myself someday! hehe!

    ReplyDelete