Thursday, October 14, 2010

What's for Dinner?.....Stuffed Delicata Squash!

This meal was inspired by a recipe that I came across the other night in Mothering Magazine- the original recipe is for stuffed acorn squash.  The great thing about this recipe is that it's versatile- plus, it's super-healthy!  I've listed some substitution suggesting/ideas at the end of the post!  Enjoy!


I started off by washing, cutting crosswise, seeding, placing cut side down in a water bath, and roasting at 375 degrees for 45 min., 2 Delicata Squash from our farm.



While they were cookin', I made some quinoa (pronounced keen-wah), a super delicious and nutritious grain.  It's gluten free (for anyone who doesn't do gluten) and packed with protein- great for us vegetarians out there!  I cook it like I do rice- boil 2 parts water, add in 1 part quinoa (in this case I used 1 cup quinoa, 2 cups water) reduce to simmer with lid on pot, and cook for about 16 min.



The one thing that I do occasionally add- is some seaweed- yes- you read it right- seaweed! I read this fabulous cookbook after I had Mosie and was so inspired by the fabulous recipes- the layout is ideal- (it's seperated by season). It is based on the movement to eat locally and seasonally, without using super-processed foods. I do strive to make foods like this!

Kombu is the seaweed I use- I basically just break off a 2" piece and add it to the grains as they cook and remove it when they are done. Why you ask????? Because it adds a nice flavor without using extra salt. Give it a shot! Oh- it also naturally high in the mineral iodine which is a necessary part of  a healthy diet.





Cooked quinoa is light and fluffy with a little crunch to it (sort of), and it has a great nutty flavor- it's probably my favorite grain!

Then I sauteed my veggies ( I used 2 small onions, 3 cloves of garlic, kale, and 2 bell peppers).  I cooked them down in olive oil after chopping them, then I added 1 Tbsp. of cumin, 1 Tsp. oregano, salt and pepper.



Then I added 1 can of rinsed black beans, the quinoa, and about 1 cup of frozen sweet corn.


Then I filled the squash with the delicious mixture.


Then I added some nice sharp cheddar cheese on top. And baked it at 350 degrees for 40 min- until the top was browned and it was heated through.

I sprinkled a little more cheese on top (parm this time), and paired it with a romaine salad, with apple slices, candied almonds, and cheddar cheese.
DELICIOUS!  The combination of the tender, sweet squash- with the smoky filling=  a really good meal- and D even gave it 2 thumbs up!


Ingredients

2 delicata squash
1 cup dry quinoa (cooked in 2 cups water)
1 can black beans
1 piece of kombu
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 onions
2 peppers
1 bunch of kale
1 cup corn
3 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tsp oregano
salt and pepper
cheese  (optional)

Roast squash until tender (cut, seed, place in water bath).  Saute veggies and spices in oil until tender.  Cook quinoa (2:1 ratio- water to quinoa) 16 min., add to sauteed vegetables, add in corn and rinsed black beans.  Fill cooked squash with mixture.  Top with cheese- bake 350 degrees for 40 min.

Variations:
1. This meal can be prepared completely vegan (although I chose to throw some cheese on top:)
2. Instead of Delicata you could roast and stuff any winter squash (acorn, butternut) or even peppers or potatoes!
3. You could put different veggies and/or different spices
4. You could use rice, couscous, or another grain instead of quinoa
5. For you meat lovers out there you could saute ground pork, turkey, chicken or beef and add it into the mix.
5. You could use white beans, chick peas, or red beans rather than black.



No comments:

Post a Comment