Thursday, October 20, 2011

OMGeezy (long post- read it to the end- it's chock full of goodness)

This recipe- I HAVE to share.

I saw the original in October 2011 issue of Living.  They are called Pretzel-Shortbread bars (pg. 86). The ingredients are simple and things I had on hand:
butter, flour, pretzels, eggs, baking powder, sugar
and I had this brainstorm to add one other ingredient that I thought just might put this salty sweet treat over the top- NUTELLA
Check it out:
This is a double batch that I put in a 13"x9" pan ( the original recipe calls for a 4.5"x13" shortbread pan-which I do not have).  My regular baking dish worked out just fine.  I started by spraying the pan and putting a piece on wax paper on the bottom and up the sides a bit.
Then I pulverized 31/2 cups of pretzels in the food processor-creating a powder with a few small chunks.
I put 1 cup of the mixture in a bowl with 1 cup of flour, and 1 tsp. baking powder
in a mixer bowl I put 2 sticks (1 cup) room temperature butter, 1 cup sugar, and 2 egg yolks and mixed them for a full 5 minutes-until they were light and fluffy
then I added the pretzel/flour mixture
then I put another 3 cups of pretzels in the food processor-(you're going for larger chunks this time)
I mixed in 1 cup of the pretzel chunks and pressed the mixture into my prepared pan
then I spread about 1 cup of Nutella on top of the pressed dough and sprinkled the remaining pretzel chunks on top of that (and pressed them down a bit)

then I baked them at 325 for 26 min.s
they are DIVINE (it was my dinner tonight)
and because I made a double batch- we could use some help eating them- so if you're in the area and need a sweet treat, stop on over- we have plenty;)
on a home decor note- I've been doing some reorganizing of furniture since my recent dining room redo- so, I moved the file cabinet into the living room as a makeshift side table on the right side of the couch- the round side table into the dining room to hold the plant next to the windows, the owl table and chairs from the kitchen into the book room as a new little art studio for the kids, trampoline down into the playroom, and rattan bookroom chair into the dining room (TMI I know,- especially if you've never been in my house)

The point of this explanation is that I recovered a couple pillows for the chair that is now in the dining room today- with that fabulous fabric I talked about here.  It looks great- and was a very quick project.  The room has a very loungey, living room type of feel to it now.
Once we have a light fixture in place we need to have a serious dinner party!! at which I might just serve the bext pizza I've ever made...I meant to post this solo last week- but never got  around to it- so now I'm turning this post into an epic one- with two recipes-so I hope you're still reading, because this one, is lust-worthy.
I had a pizza party a couple weeks back and decided to make an apple pizza pie (something I've done before but never this successfully) It was so good I had leftover dough and made it again 2 days later..
Here's the main idea- I always use this insanley good homemade dough recipe (I use 1/2 white whole wheat and 1/2 white flour for the dough)
The sauce for this pie is this:
D made a special 30 minute trip to get 3 jars of this stuff- it's that good.
then I added sliced apple, sliced brie, a drizzle of EVOO, a little fresh parm, salt and pepper- and cooked it
when it came out I topped it with a spinach salad- dressed with a homemade dressing (EVOO, vinegar, honey, dijon mustard, fresh garlic, salt and pepper)
My mouth is watering, even though my belly is full of Nutella pretzel bars- it is SO GOOD.

Make it, would you? and invite me over for dinner?!

No comments:

Post a Comment