Sunday, March 6, 2011

Super Inspired!!!


The other day I stopped by a new favorite blog-read of mine Little Green Notebook.  Jenny had this FABULOUS post- about using a Rorschach ink blot as inspiration for interior design.  I was so excited by this post- and felt an immediate burst of inspiration!


Jenny sites  Jay-Z's  memoir Decoded as the inspiration behind this fabulous design idea. D got it as a Christmas gift- and the cover is stunning.
(From Jenny's post- it is a Warhol painting entitled Rorschach).


I immediatly felt that the interesting, yet super simple design- done on a large scale- would be INSANE for my mantel. (I've been searching for the right piece to put there since I started re-designing the room- but wanted something different from my typical style). 

SO- I set off on a mission- to create an ink blot inspired painting for our mantle. 

Check it:

Here's what I did- first  I created an ink blot on a large piece of drawing paper with Ralph Lauren's  Regent Metallics collection in Golden Candelsticks, it's an  inetrior latex paint which I used here and here in previous mural projects. 

I made sure to put large amounts of paint on the paper so that I would then be able to transfer the design to the canvas. (I'm feeling the look of the original print more because of it's opacity- but I wanted the look of the wrapped canvas as opposed to a framed print).

Once that was complete I centered the paper onto the canvas and transfered the design.
This step did not go exactally as I had hoped- the canvas did not recieve the paint like the paper did (paper is more absorbant- possibly raw canvas would work better?)

So then I went back into the design with a series of smaller "ink blot" monoprints over the original design to add details and create a little more interest and also make it a little larger. The grainy print quality on the canvas is starting to grow on me:) 


I'm planning on playing around with the process more- it was fun!  What do you think??? I'm thinking a set of maybe 4 smaller ones could be really cool too.


....and thank you SO much to Jenny from Little Green Notebook for the design inspiration!




6 comments:

  1. Looks AMAZING! Great job and thanks for sharing!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE!!!!! What an amazing idea! I'll have to check out that blog b/c that's some serious inspiration! I love the way it came out and it's look perfect on the mantel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously cool Hannah!! I think I have to try this~ Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, looks good!!

    Visit me @
    http://luckysparkle.blogspot.com

    ♡Anya

    ReplyDelete
  5. You painting looks great! I really love the bottom detail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was inspired by the same post on LGN! As soon as I saw it I dug through my craft stash to try to find something to make my own Rorschach-inspired print. I LOVE how yours turned out! By the way, I found my way over here via LGN. I look forward to exploring your older posts!

    ReplyDelete